New Netflix Show Celebrate Black Culture Through Food | Entertainment – Pennsylvanianewstoday.com - Africa Matters

Breaking

Post Top Ad

Post Top Ad

Thursday, May 27, 2021

New Netflix Show Celebrate Black Culture Through Food | Entertainment – Pennsylvanianewstoday.com

The cultural and social documentary “High on the Hog: How African American Cooking Transformed America” ​​will air on Netflix on Wednesday, May 26th.

Chef, writer and host Stephen Satterfield traces delicious, traditional black-derived dishes and recipes from Africa to Texas to Philadelphia in this documentary series.

“I think this is a very powerful framework that really helps people develop their interests and curiosity. It’s a universal experience among all human beings, although it’s one of the few we have. It’s one and tells stories around. I think there’s a lot of potential to deepen cultural knowledge, gratitude, and a healthy understanding. Ultimately, that’s my hope. Food is people. We hope it will be a gateway drug to expand our cultural knowledge and curiosity, “says Satterfield.

The episode titled “Our Founding Chefs” was filmed in Philadelphia.

“We’re with chef Omar Tate. The series moves books from enslavement to chronological movements from Benin, West Africa to transatlantic migration to Charleston, South Carolina. And There is talk of a northward migration to Philadelphia and New York, including a western migration to Texas, “says Satterfield.

“One of my favorite parts of Philadelphia was spending time with my personal friend, Chef Omar Tate, a truly inspiring and talented chef who I think is fulfilling Philadelphia’s justice. I think it is, “said the host.

Jessica B. Harris is a book “High on the Hog: How” that celebrates the courage, artistry, and wisdom of African-Americans and African-Americans, in addition to being the inspiration for the show. Author of “African American Cuisine Transformed America”. ..

“If you look at each chapter of the book, you’ll see that there are ten chapters, but each chapter begins with a story about a place and its place. In that sense, that place is in the chronology of African-American history. Connect. I like Benin, West Africa, where the first episode was filmed. My doctoral dissertation is in Senegal, West Africa. It’s not in the series, but another place that’s important to my mind. And there are all sorts of places in the United States, from Dallas, Texas to New Orleans, Martha’s Vineyard, and New York. I’m a native New Yorker, so I have it all, “Harris said. I am.

The author is grateful that Netflix helped bring the book to life, even if it wasn’t the first one I imagined.

“They believed in the book, and it believed they could be what they wanted to do, and I believed they could do it. We both I think they were also rewarded with nobility, and they did a great job. You know, I said, it’s not necessarily the adaptation I would have done, but it shouldn’t. That’s what adaptation is. Adaptation is the person who filters your work through your mind, mind and spirit and comes to know that our spirits are in line. It’s great. “Harris Said.

She said she hopes through the series that people will understand the important places African Americans have regarding American culture.

“My real hope is that people will begin to understand African-American food and, through African-American food, will understand the fundamental importance of African-Americans in American culture. We are the foundation. We are the foundation of all that, and that’s important, “says Harris.

Satterfield said he gained a new understanding and awareness of the rarely explored parts of African-American culture.

“Everywhere we traveled was very profound. The experience in Houston really stands out to me. I was really plagued by the cultural protection of the so-called black cowboy Bruno family. 4 Riding, riding, and riding a horse-drawn carriage with a black man between the ages of 95 and 95 was a truly magical experience. I will never forget, “he said. ..



from WordPress https://ift.tt/3vlCh0J
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad